The Mini Storage Option
If you store your important records in a mini storage unit or are considering that option, please consider the following issues noted recently by a Certified Records Expert.
Concerns over the use of Mini Storage Units
- Typical mini storage unit are not HIPPA Compliant
- Units are typically not monitored for fire or theft intrusion
- Theft intrusion usually limited to a simple padlock
- No detailed inventory tracking or audit service
- Usually there are no fire suppression or sprinkler systems
- No monitoring for pest infestation
- No monitoring for presence of water or mold
- Contents can be auctioned if bills run past due 45 days
- Sometimes in very undesirable locations
- Security gate pass codes are typically and easily provided to non-renters
- Physical risks of persons retrieving boxes, such as falling boxes, unsafe ladders etc.
- Potential for unsafe materials including chemicals or drugs stored in adjacent units
- Storage units are not scalable
- Shelving or racks must be purchased for each unit
- Extensive employee or personal time required for placement, retrieval and purging
- Capacity – a unit large enough for 150 boxes is usually $120+
- Commercial Storage Companies typical cost for 150 boxes$45-$55 per month
Security. Service. Reliability.
Off-site storage at FMP is almost always more economical than other options such as self-storage units and certainly more secure.
Document Shredding & Destruction
Professional document destruction or shredding can protect your organization from the most frequent cause of information breaches, employee error or carelessness.